Sunday 5 June 2016

INSIDE

 
 The inside of the Notre Dame Cathedral of Strasbourg can be described in one word...majestic.  Looking down the long aisle that leads towards the alter, there only appears to be one leadlight window, that being at the very end,...


... but as the walk progresses we realise that we are flanked on either side by so many stained glass windows that it forms an almost wall to wall mosaic of colour.


At the very end in front of the alter area, we turn around & see the magnificent rose window.


It comprises of a ring of 32 ears of corn & is 13meteres 90 cm in diameter. I don't think I've ever seen a rose window before, that uses so much yellow & so little red.  Needless to say, it was very impressive!



Also needless to say, is that there were MANY impressive windows & I took a lot of photos!  Here are a few that took my eye for different reasons.  This one of Jesus in the Garden Of Gethsemane, has particularly interesting trees...I've tried drawing them! I love the way they twist & have such stereotypical 'leaves' in clusters.


There were two devil-like characters shown effectively in glass.  This one is an interesting window, as much for the limited colour palette as for the character.  The demon/devil is bound in chains & cuffed, but he looks quite happy about it.  There is something yoda-ish about his face that ...to me...makes him quite endearing.


In contrast, this devilly-demon thing, I find scarey.  He could easily grace the cover of a contemporary fantasy as some grotesque character.



As with the Cathedral exterior, the sculptor's art is very much in evidence inside the Cathedral as well.  This is Mary & to my eyes, her hair is her best feature. I love how it tumbles so naturally down her back & across her shoulders.


This was my favourite lady.  I don't know who she is.  I keep meaning to look at the sign beside her, but each time I've visited her, I'm drawn to her eyes, it's as if she is actually looking down at me with that serene face, & I completely forget to note her name!


This Cathedral has an Astronomical clock that was built in the 16th century. Apparently it's mechanism is quite unique in the world.  Every day at 12.30pm  the Cathedral is closed down, so that people can pay 2 euro to be inside & witness the clock doing it's thing.  I paid my 2 euro & I'm very sorry to say it has to be the most boring astronomical clock I have ever seen.  To the side of the photo you see some carvings?


Those carvings are joined by these & others to form a wonderful pillar that ascends up to the ceiling.  THIS is much more interesting than  the clock!


This is my favourite figure from it.  I like the body posture & the focus of the eyes.



In closing, this character is seldom seen by the visitors until he is pointed out, and then we wonder how we never saw him before.  He looks down at the many visitors who pay their 2 euro to see the clock do it's thing, as if to laugh at us & say "Suckers!"!!!!!

 

 
 
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment